Thursday, October 27, 2005

The End of a Jar

Last night, a few hours after my yummy spaghetti dinner, I was still a little bit hungry. So I decided that I would have a pickle. I get to the fridge, grab a pickle, eat it, and I am both happy and sad at the same time. The happiness comes from eating one of those delicious pickles, the sad part comes from the fact that it was my last one. Now I know what most are thinking, "no need to worry, just buy another jar and everything will be alright." That is what I plan on doing today, but its not that simple.

I will have a new jar in my fridge by tonight, but I cannot eat them right away. Why, you ask? Simple, they have not been made into the succulent goodness that they can be. What one does is add garlic and onions (I prefer the red ones) to the jar and let it sit for a few weeks. Oh, I could easily eat a few of them right when I get home, but they do not taste the same. Now does this make much of a difference? If you are a pickle fan like me, oh yes it does!

Let me give you a scenario to prove the point I am trying to make. One goes to the store to buy a pork loin. Now what are your options in preparing this treat. You could cut it up into little pieces and nuke it in the microwave. The quickest way, but not nearly the best. You could cut it into pork chop sizes and pan fry them. Once again not too long to make, but not nearly the best. Or one could baste it several times over with different sauces over the course of days, let it sit in its juices, then take it to the grill and slow roast it. Now that sounds like a meal!

The point is certain foods taste better when they are prepared differently. The pickles, after sitting in those juices for a few weeks are much better than just an average pickle. Now some may say that this type of food is not worth it, but to me it is and that is what matters most. Just like my roommate, who enjoys his cottage cheese; I despise the stuff but he loves it. Food is a matter of opinion and with food I say, "to each their own." So, even though last night was sad because it was the end of the jar. Today should be happy because it is the beginning of a whole new one which will bring more joy.

4 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous McG said...

YES!

First Post!

Hopefully none of those leecher ads will pop up for such an incredibly awe-inspiring post!

I must say that I agree 100% with this article. Clearly, somethings require a little bit of love before they are ready to face the world. My pastrami sandwiches today are a good example. I had to spread the mustard so evenly, distribute the meat evenly, and heat them just so to make that perfect lunch.

My new jar of pickles has just a few days on yours so I feel your pain. But when a pickle is not ready it is just not ready. Oh, but when it IS ready: feast!

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger coiledrose said...

You're making me drool...

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous tmcg said...

Mike and Mike, I couldn'e agree with you more....But what's even sadder than having to wait a few weeks for the pickles to be ready for eating is being stranded in a dorm and only having gross non-yummy pickles to eat.....pity me and send me some!!! :-)

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Donna-Katie said...

There's something vaguely metaphorical about this post... something... can't quite put my finger on it though... hehe.

Call me sometime, you punk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home